Throughout the years, Ustad Daud Khan has been teaching music and the Afghan rubab to a great number of students who have fallen in love with this most wonderful instrument, convinced that they can learn no matter their background. Some of them have become excellent: not only playing very well, but composing as well new pieces with good taste. They really contribute to the life and spreading of the musical tradition, like a new branch of the fragile tree.
Ustad Daud Khan teaches in the traditional Master-Disciple (Ustad–Shagerd or Guru–Shishya ) way of transmission, in which he was trained himself, first in Kabul with Ustad Mohammad Omar, the Sultan of rubab, then with Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, one of the greatest contemporary sarod players. This school relies on the active listening and repetition of what is played by the Master, where notation, using the Indian Saregam system, holds a minor mnemonic role. One learns through the music and the proximity of the Master.
When physical presence is not possible, rubab and sarod private lessons are available via online video calls.
Rubab and Afghan music
Learn the authentic and subtle art of the “lion of instruments” online with one of its foremost exponent, following the school of Ustad Mohammad Omar
• Its intricate playing technics, from melodic ornaments to rythmical variations, and authentic style of performance
• A rich repertoire, from folk to classical, ghazal to naghma up to North Indian ragas
• The importance of rythmic cycles and the ability to improvise
• Also open to other suitable instruments and singers willing to learn Afghan music
Sarod and North Indian music
Delve into the endless ocean of North Indian music with the majestic sarod, following the teachings of Ustad Amjad Ali Khan
• Playing technics with the importance of meend (glissando) and bol (rythmic patterns)
• The grammar and expressions of the melodic modes ragas with compositions rooted in the Senia-Bangash gharana, and how to present them together with their rythmic counterpart talas
• Developing the art of improvisation
• Other instrumentalists wishing to learn North Indian music also welcome
Private lessons are offered via videoconference for a length of 1 hour per session.
The first meeting is free and is an introductory session to get to know the method of teaching.
The fee is then 50€ per session (or 45€ per session for 5 sessions paid in advance, with a 10% discount).
Ustad Daud Khan teaches in English, Persian, German and Pashto.
Good internet connection and video quality (phone or computer) is required.
To begin your journey, please get in touch via either
– the contact form
– email: firstname.lastname@example.org
– phone: +49(0)223661396
Seminars – Ustad Daud Khan regularly gives seminar, mostly in Greece, Spain and Italy. For informations on the next seminars, please see the Dates page.